Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Smartest City in the USA

So did you guess?  Where will I be celebrating US Independence Day?  Why in the smartest city in the US of course.  Yes, that's Charlottesville, VA, where I attended High School for my senior year.  So although I'd still count myself as more of a New Yorker than a Virginian (more on that later), I could call this my 'home town' (happy to do so if it will get me into the VA Festival of the Book for 2013). There's no denying the utter beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains (took the Blue Ridge Parkway from Fla) or the loveliness of its excellent shopping, restaurants, and places to walk. This is one beautiful city, never mind the brains.  I can think of no where else I'd rather spend July the 4th, than the 5000 acre plantation of author of the Declaration of Independence, third president of the United States, and founder of the University of Virginia Thomas Jefferson. So if you're looking for me this week, try Monticello. I'll be towing along my British companion, so if you hear any grumbling about American independence, you'll know where it's coming from.  As for the kids, they're 100% Aussie, so it's all tourism to them.   

No comments:

Post a Comment